Support for students with reading impairments
Students with reading impairments* have the right to borrow customised course books. Legimus, via MTM, offers talking books, e-textbooks and braille books. You don’t have to show a certificate, but please read below the examples of reading impairments to make sure you have the right to use Legimus. To start an account, you need to book an appointment for registration and introduction.
- Book an appointment for registration in Legimus.
- Transfer an existing Legimus account.
- Ordering recordings of course books
- Reading Studio and digital tools for studies.
*For example: reading and writing disabilities, visually impairment, other physical disabilities, such as reduced mobility and hearing, intellectual disabilities, neurological disabilities like autism, ADHD, temporary reading impairments.
Watch a video on what support you can get from the Library
Book an appointment for registration in Legimus
If you have a reading impairment, you can make an appointment for registration and introduction.
We offer individual introductions in English, as well as group introductions in Swedish. All meetings take place online in Zoom.
If you can’t find an available appointment, or if you have questions about Legimus, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Transfer an existing Legimus account
Ordering recordings of course books
If your required course books are not already available as talking books at Legimus, we can help you order a recording from MTM. It takes about 12 weeks to record a book, so plan ahead.
To order customised course books you need to
- have a reading impairment
- have a Legimus account
- and be a student at Uppsala University.
Please note: You can only order required course books. Also, it is not possible to order parts/chapters of course books.
Reading studio and digital tools for studies
There is a reading studio at Blåsenhus Library that can be booked for self-studies by students with reading impairments. The studio can be booked during the information desk's opening hours.
In the reading studio there is a scanner, two screens and a computer with the following software (Students at Uppsala University can also download them to their own computers):
Speech synthesis software
- TorTalk – converts e-books, password protected PDF files and text from scanned images to speech both in Swedish and English. TorTalk has been specially developed for individuals with dyslexia and reading and writing difficulties.
Download TorTalk to your computer
- StavaRex – advanced spelling correction software that corrects major spelling errors, commonly confused words and basic grammar mistakes in the most common word processors, like MS Word. Can be combined with speech synthesis software.
- SpellRight – advanced spelling correction software for individuals with Swedish as their first language and who write in English as their second language. The software corrects major spelling errors, commonly confused words and basic grammar mistakes in English in the most common word processors, like MS Word. The software also has an English-Swedish/Swedish-English dictionary. Can be combined with speech synthesis software.
Download StavaRex or SpellRight to your computer
- TextView – reading software for the visually impaired to read e-textbooks aloud. TextView is only available for Windows. The software does not include speech support. If you want a text read aloud, you have to install voice synthesis software on your computer. Software that enlarges text and braille displays are other aids that you can use with TextView.
Download TextView to your computer
- EasyReader – reading software to read talking books from Legimus using your computer. With EasyReader, you log in with your Legimus-account, search for, download and read aloud your talking books. You can see the text on the screen while it is being read (if the book has text). The speech synthesis included with EasyReader can also read texts from Microsoft Word files (.docx) and text files (.txt). You can also use it to read aloud text copied into the Windows clipboard. Read more in the help file included in the program.
Download EasyReader to your computer