Support for students with reading impairments
Students with reading impairments* have the right to borrow customised course books such as talking books, e-textbooks or braille books. Please note: Only required course books. You don’t have to show a certificate.
- Book a time for registration in Legimus.
- Ordering recordings of course books
- Course books as talking books
- Reading Studio
*For example: reading and writing disabilities, visually impairment, other physical disabilities, such as reduced mobility and hearing, intellectual disabilities, neurological disabilities like autism, ADHD, temporary reading impairments.
Watch video on what support you can get from the Library
Book a time for registration in Legimus
You can book times in three places: The Bio-Medical Library, the Library for Economic Sciences and the Karin Boye Library. This applies to students from all campuses.
Please note! We currently only offer online meetings no matter which venue you choose.
Please note! If you can't find a suitable time in the booking system, email email@example.com if you are willing to attend the meeting together with other students. Do not forget to write your social security number, student e-mail address and telephone number.
If you have any questions about the appointment, contact Ask The Library.
Transfer an existing Legimus account
Do you already have a Legimus account from another library? Apply for a transfer of your account to Uppsala University Library.
You are welcome to make an appointment to learn more.
Course books as talking books
If your required course books are not already available as talking books, you can order a recording. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to record a book using a computer-generated voice. For recordings by a human reader, it takes 2 to 3 months, so plan ahead. Please note: You can only order recordings of required course books.
You can listen to talking books with an mp3-player, on a computer, or smartphones and tablets using the app Legimus.
There is a reading studio at Blåsenhus Library for students with reading impairments that can be booked for self-study.
Contact Ask The Library to to book an introduction to the Reading Studio.
There are scanners and a computer with tools in the Reading Studio:
Speech synthesis software
- TorTalk – the program converts e-books, password protected PDF files and text from scanned images to speech both in Swedish and English. The program has been specially developed for individuals with dyslexia and reading and writing difficulties.
Download the TorTalk to your computer
- StavaRex – advanced spelling correction software that corrects major spelling errors, commonly confused words and basic grammar mistakes in the most common word processors, like MS Word. Can be combined with speech synthesis software.
- SpellRight – advanced spelling correction software for individuals with Swedish as their first language and who write in English as their second language. The program corrects major spelling errors, commonly confused words and basic grammar mistakes in English in the most common word processors, like MS Word. The software also has an English-Swedish/Swedish-English dictionary. Can be combined with speech synthesis software.
Download the softwares to your computer
- TextView – reading software for the visually impaired to read e-textbooks aloud. TextView is only available for Windows. The program does not include speech support. If you want a text read aloud, you have to install voice synthesis software on your computer. Software that enlarges text and braille displays are other aids that you can use with TextView.
Download TextView to your computer
- EasyReader – reading software to read audiobooks from Legimus using your computer. With EasyReader, you log in, search for, download and read aloud your talking books. You can see the text on the screen while it is being read but only with those books that have text. The speech synthesis included with EasyReader can also read texts from Microsoft Word files (.docx) and text files (.txt). You can also use it to read aloud text copied into the Windows clipboard. Read more in the help file included in the program.
Download EasyReader to your computer