Free and discounted publishing in Open Access Journals
When you publish your research in an open access journal, or choose the open access option in a hybrid journal you will often have to pay a publishing fee, an “article processing charge” (APC). Discounts are available to researchers at Uppsala University for all or part of the publishing fee through the University Library’s agreement with several publishers.
- use your UU email address that ends in “.uu.se”. This makes it easier to identify UU authors and ensure that the article is funded centrally or discounted.
- the “corresponding author” – the main author, the person who submits the manuscript, is in contact with the publishers in connection with publication – must be affiliated with Uppsala University.
- state the affiliation to (department at) Uppsala University.
For certain agreements you will need to request that the Uppsala University discount is applied.
Publish free of charge:
American Institute of Physics
Cambridge University Press
Open Library of Humanities
Oxford University Press
Royal Society of Chemistry
Springer Nature Fully Open Access Journals
Publish with discount:
Publish Open Access free of charge
Publishing Open Access without publication fees in the following seven journals:
- Applied Physics Letters
- Journal of Applied Physics
- Journal of Chemical Physics
- Journal of Mathematical Physics
- Journal of Physical and Chemistry Reference Data
- Physics of Fluids
- Review of Scientific Instruments
In addition to stating your affiliation with Uppsala University, it is important that you use your uu.se email address when submitting a manuscript to an AIP journal. It is via the uu.se email address that AIP identifies you as an Uppsala University affiliated author and entitled to open access publishing free of charge in the included journals.
Free publication in their hybrid or entirely OA journals.
When your article has been accepted for publication you will receive a notification from the journal where you are asked to fill in an agreement for publishing. To publish Open Access for free, do as follows:
- Choose the agreement for Open Access publishing
- Send the signed agreement to the journal
- Wait for a reply with a link to RightsLink’s payment form
- Log in to RightsLink (in case you aren't already a user you need to create an account first)
- In order not to pay a fee for publishing (APC) you must put in Uppsala University under "Affiliation Discount"
- Confirm and finish.
- Publishing in Cambridge University Press
- Cambridge University Press Journals
Publishing free of charge.
Free Open Access publication in Oxford University Press hybrid journals. Publishing in journals from learned societies are not included. The agreement is of the "first come, first served" type and covers a limited amount of articles for the universities that are participating in the agreement.
To make use of the agreement:
- Once the article has been accepted for publication, the author receives an e-mail with login details and a link to the publishers "Author Services site”.
- On the Manuscript Licenses page, choose which type of license the article should be published under. Select an Open Access license (eg CC BY) approve the terms of the license.
- You will come to the Publishing Charges for Your Article page with a subheading called "Open Access Prepayment Account" and a drop-down menu.
- Select Swedish Universities (Bibsam affiliated) in the menu.
After you have completed the subsequent steps, the University Library verifies that the article belongs to a researcher affiliated to Uppsala University and then the article is published Open Access.
Free publication in RSC hybrid journals and two entirely OA journals: Chemical Science och Nanoscale Advances. (RSC Advances not included in the agreement)
The author must request to use the Uppsala University agreement with the publisher to cover the costs when they submit their manuscript.
Uppsala University is a member of the SCOAP3 open access project.
Publishing free of charge in Open Choice Journals.
From 15 July 2019 researchers at Uppsala University can publish without any charges in all fully open access journals from Springer Nature.
In addition to stating your affiliation with Uppsala University, it is important that you use your UU email address when submitting a manuscript to a Springer Nature journal. This way the publisher will automatically identify articles that qualifies for open access publishing within the agreement. There will be no author-facing charges.
Imprints included in agreement:
- BioMed Central (BMC) (313 journals)
- SpringerOpen Journals (216 journals)
- Nature Research Open Access Journals
(47 journals, incl Nature Communications, Palgrave Communications and Scientific Reports)
Free publication in T&F Open Select journals. Agreement covers Original Papers and Review Papers.
Publish Open Access with discount
Discount on publishing fee: 250 USD (if you are a member of ACS you are entitled to an additional discount of 500 USD).
If you choose to publish under the Creative Commons CC-BY or CC-BY-NC-ND licences, there is a fee of 1000 USD.
The author must request that the discount is added to the price. To receive the discounts on the publishing fee choose:
- for non-members: ACS AuthorChoice Discounted Price for Authors at “All ACS Publications” Subscribing Institutions
- for members: ACS AuthorChoice Discounted Price for ACS Members at “All ACS Publications” Subscribing Institutions.
- Publishing in ACS
- ACS Journals
Publishing discount: 25 %
Publishing discount: 10% discount of the publication cost in De Gruyter hybrid and golden OA journals and open access e-books.
When the article or book is accepted for publication, the author corresponding emails OAfunding@degruyter.com or the editor and request that the article or book be made open access.
Publishing discount: 10 %
Publishing discount: 1200 EUR (regular price: 1800 EUR)
Publishing discount: 50% for entirely Open Access journals (not hybrid journals).
The author should request the Uppsala University publishing discount when submitting their manuscript.
Publishing discount: 25 %
Publishing discount: USD 1 150 (regular price: USD 1500)
The discount applies to the Portland Press journals that Uppsala University subscribes to: Biochemical Journal, Biochemical Society Transactions, Clinical Science och Essays in Biochemistry
Phone: 018-471 39 00
Phone and chat available weekdays 9–18.