Finding your way in the collections
This information will help you find items in our collections; all types of material, from medieval manuscripts to digitised and electronic books, newspapers and databases. If you think something is missing in our collections, you are welcome to suggest a purchase.
Books and e-books
The University Library has several million books in print and electronic form. Most may be found through the Library’s search tool. For books published before 1962, you may need to search in the Library’s older catalogues. If you are looking for material printed up to and including 1850, see also Early printed works.
- The Library’s search tool - use the search panel on the Library’s start page to do a search. Here, you’ll find most of the Library’s printed and electronic books and journals.
- DISA Library catalogue - here, you can search the Library’s printed books and journals, and log in to see your current loans and reservations.
- Catalogue 1962 - The Library’s catalogue of books and journals up to and including 1962. Parts of the contents (but far from all) are available in the Library’s search service.
- Library catalogue, Almedal Library, Gotland - Almedal Library is a combined public and university library and part of Uppsala University. To become a borrower, you need to have a Campus Gotland borrower’s card.
- LIBRIS - joint catalogue for Swedish libraries at higher education institutions.
- Order articles and interlibrary loans - students and researchers at Uppsala University can, through interlibrary loans, order books and articles that are not included in our collections.
- E-books - more about conditions for the various e-book collections.
- Course books - find out more about course books at the Library.
Early printed works
Early printed works include books, journals, newspapers, ephemera and booklets printed before 1850. They are often printed with a hand press and on high-quality paper. A few examples of the catalogues of early printed works:
- Catalogue 1962 - the University Library’s catalogue of books and journals up to and including 1962. Parts of the content, but far from all, may also be found in the Library’s search tool.
- Aurivillius - a catalogue of the books and journals in Uppsala University Library in 1796. Much of the material is included in the Catalogue 1962, so start your search there.
- Inventory - books and journals listed by their old inventory numbers (according to subject and serial number) up to and including 1796. It should be used with the Aurivillius catalogue.
- Bibliotheca Walleriana - a catalogue of medical and natural science literature (printed circa 1490s – 1940s) from the Waller collections.
Theses and dissertations
- DiVA - the database of Uppsala University publications. Here, you can search these publications, such as dissertations and theses. DiVA also contains full-text dissertations dating from 1600 to 1885.
- Catalogue 1962 - the University Library’s catalogue of books and journals and up to and including 1962. Parts of the content, but far from all, may also be found in the Library’s search tool.
The Library subscribes to journals and periodicals from all over the world, both digital and printed. Links to e-journals and information about the printed ones, may be found in the list of Journals A-Z. Journals and articles in electronic form may be searched in the Library’s search tool and in the database list. In the Library’s research guides you can find advice about article databases in your subject area.
- Catalogue 1962 - the University Library’s catalogue of books and journals up to and including 1962. Parts of the content, but far from all, may also be found in the Library’s search service.
- Aurivillius (Pehr Fabian Aurivillius, Catalogus Bibliothecae Regiae Academiae Upsaliensis) - catalogue of the books and journals in Uppsala University Library in 1796. Much of the material is included in Catalogue 1962, so start your search there.
- Inventory - list of books and journals according to older inventory numbers (subject designation and serial number) up to and including 1796. Use only in conjunction with the Aurivillius catalogue.
The University Library has databases with full-text and microfilmed newspapers, and sometimes also original issues. You can search directly in the full-text newspapers or find references to articles through our databases.
- Retriever Research (formerly Mediearkivet) - there are many Swedish dailies, in searchable full-text versions.
- PressReader - Online access to newspapers from all over the world..
- Factiva - this contains news material from 118 countries, in 22 different languages, from the daily and business press, and other sources.
Svenska dagstidningar – Free text search in the National Library of Sweden’s database for Swedish newspapers. Articles older than 115 years can be accessed from anywhere. More recent material is only available at two specific computers at Karin Boye Library and Carolina Library. These computers are bookable on weekdays 9-12 a.m. Outside of these hours, the computers are free to use by anyone.
Book a computer at Carolina Library
Book a computer at Karin Boye Library
The Library’s pictorial collections contain engravings and lithographs, drawings, postcards, photographs and printed images. The predominant motifs are portraits, topographical views and historical events.
- Alvin - platform for digital collections and digitised cultural heritage. This portal is under construction and currently contains a small part of the Library’s pictures and maps.
- Alvin - platform for digital collections and digitised cultural heritage. This portal is under construction and currently contains only a very small number of the Library’s maps.
The manuscript collections contain not only medieval manuscripts and historical documents but entire collections of archives and correspondence from modern authors and cultural personalities. A few examples of the manuscript catalogues:
- Alvin - platform for digital collections and digitised cultural heritage. This portal is under construction.
- Catalogue of the manuscript collections, classified by subject - digitised PDF versions, classified by subject, of the Library’s manuscripts.
- Catalogue of medieval manuscripts - digital version of the Catalogue of the Library’s western medieval manuscripts (‘the C collection’).
- Index to the Manuscript Collection - an overview and orientation tool in the library's different catalogues of the manuscript collection.
- LIBRIS - the national catalogue, with contents including modern musical printed works from Sweden and abroad.
- Düben Database - the catalogue of the Düben collection, comprising vocal and instrumental music from the 17th and early 18th centuries, primarily in manuscript form. A high proportion of the sheet music has been scanned in and is directly accessible in the database.
- Digitised catalogue of vocal music manuscripts- this contains vocal sheet music acquired by Uppsala University Library up to 1970.
- Digitised catalogue of instrumental music manuscripts- this contains instrumental sheet music acquired by Uppsala University Library up to 1970.
- Catalogue of printed music -1970. A catalogue consisting of printed scores acquired by Uppsala University Library up to 1970.
- Catalogue of music scores 1970-1980. Catalogue consisting of printed and handwritten music scores acquired by Uppsala University Library up to 1980
The archive collections contain personal archives and correspondence from modern authors and cultural personalities, as well as records from institutions and societies. Some archives are listed in:
- Alvin - platform for digital collections and digitised cultural heritage. More lists and materials are uploaded to Alvin every day.
International organisations' publications
The University Library is the deposit library for the EU, Council of Europe, UN and World Bank. We can help you to find both printed and electronic material from these organisations. Read more about printed and electronic material from the EU, Council of Europe, United Nations and World Bank.
- DagDok: the Library’s guide to the United Nations and UN documents.